Wednesday 9 March 2016

Liverpool Photowalk

I had been invited to participate in a Photowalk around Liverpool organised by the Fujiholics.
I was hesitant on a number of counts. Firstly, I don't own a Fuji but apparently that didn't matter.
Secondly, in my youth I had an unpleasant experience in London and have ever since been wary of large cities.
Thirdly, and to me most importantly, I was worried that everyone would be very technical and knowledgeable and I would be shown up for the amateur I am.
But eventually I agreed, then nearly cancelled the night before as I was apprehensive, but then I thought that that would be a slippery slope. Avoiding stuff that is scary is not part of the new me, so suck it up and go for it!












Met up with Mike who is a fellow blogger and mentioned on my "photographers to inspire" section and immediately felt more comfortable.

However, the next person I spoke to saw what camera I had and made the sign of the cross as if to ward off the evil! He then proceeded to tell me that the first thing I should do is take it off automatic and learn how to use it properly. I think it shows the remarkable self control I have developed that he didn't end up with a Canon wrapped around his neck!






So we start off on the walk and the leader makes comments along the lines of "all those with a Fuji come with me, those without stay 3 paces behind", all said jokingly but with a bit of a bite!

So I know my pride and joy Bob the Canon is entry level stuff, but I love it and I am really happy with what comes out of it. (and if I was feeling really churlish I would ask how many of them have had their photo printed in the Observer, but I didn't because I am better than that and only thought of it later!)

Anyway on with the walk. There were over 100 of us to start with but the bulk of the group sprinted on and Mike and I lost them almost instantly. This was actually great because it gave time to really think about what was in front of us and how to photograph it. It was very enjoyable going out with another photographer. Mike helped me look at things in different ways, offering suggestions and advice. This is what I wanted from this trip and I was so glad I made the effort.




The emphasis of the day was "street photography". I am undecided about this. Buildings and such are fine, but when you start photographing people I start to feel uneasy. I know that a good street shot can be incredible, but to me it feels a bit intrusive. I hate having my photo taken and don't feel I have the right to take anyone else's without their permission. Then if you ask, you get a "pose" rather than something spontaneous and natural.




This is the one attempt I did that I was pleased with. I was a fair way back and I don't think they noticed me. Also I was pleased to get so much of the bar in because the shoot was about Liverpool and you don't get much more "Liverpool" than John Lennon. I'm not sure its a genre I am going to take to, but I will have another go at some point.

This next photo I asked permission to take and after a donation, she was very happy to let me.




There were a lot of people collecting for Marie Curie, all dressed up as daffodils and it was just lovely to see.




I tried during the day to look at things in a different way. Much of the architecture in Liverpool is fabulous, but I wanted something a bit different, so I looked down alleyways and up towards roofs (or is it rooves?) Liked this photo of the fire escape and the following different view of looking up.



What I did decide, and you may have noticed it already, is that it works best in black and white. Adds so much more drama and you can pick up a lot more detail when you are not distracted by colour.

So, all in all a very interesting day. I learned a lot, much of it by experimenting and trying to think differently. I have the map of the route we took, so I intend to go back again and have another look. We will have to wait and see if any unsuspecting people make it into the photos.

Lessons Learned: I seem to have developed a bit of a temper, but luckily also the restraint to handle it. It's been a long time since I have wanted to hit someone that badly!

This is my mantra, and I am sure I have used it before, but it helps. "Owning a £5000 camera does not make you a better photographer, it makes you the owner of a £5000 camera!

Diet Diary: Keeping roughly constant. Not sticking rigidly to the diet but the hiking is helping keep the weight steady I think. Got to get my act together, only 5mths till our big holiday.

Rambling Record: Up to now I have done 215 miles! Feeling very pleased with myself and I have noticed the really beneficial effect it is having on my fitness. I am much better at climbing long flights of stairs without getting breathless and I can keep going longer and easier on the hikes. So all is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment